India on Alert: No Ebola Cases Yet as Health Ministry Reviews Preparedness

India is being more thorough with its health checks in the wake of the WHO's Ebola emergency call, but make no mistake: there are no cases here. The Health Ministry is on top of it and has put out a word for the public to stick to what they're told by the authorities.

It was made clear on Wednesday during a high-level review that while the World Health Organization has put Ebola in the category of an international concern, we have nothing to worry about on our end. The message from the top is to be ready, but not to sound any false alarms.

What the review means on the ground

Punya Salila Srivastava, the Union Health Secretary, led the meeting with his counterparts from every state and UT. They were told to keep their facilities on a hair-trigger for any sign of trouble, with an eye on good old-fashioned coordination and fast reporting.

States have been asked to prioritise a few immediate actions to keep systems sharp:
– Pre-arrival and post-arrival screening at points of entry
– Quarantine protocols for suspected travellers
– Case management procedures in designated facilities
– Referral mechanisms to higher centres
– Laboratory testing and safe sample handling
– Timely reporting through coordinated surveillance

The Centre has already sent over the Standard Operating Procedures to all the states. It’s a no-nonsense document on how to handle things at the border, in the lab, or when you have to make a call on quarantine. All the relevant departments have been in on it and are in step with the Health Ministry.

Why officials say there is no cause for panic

So far, not a single case of the virus has turned up in India. What you see now is just a precaution, not a reaction to anything happening in the country. We’ve been in this position before. When the 2014 outbreak hit West Africa, we put similar measures in place and didn’t have one case to show for it. That’s the kind of record we’re building on.

What to expect next

You might be asked to fill out a form or go through some screening if you’re at an airport or port. The hospitals the states have put forward know the drill for isolation and testing. But for the most part, it’s business as usual.

How this affects daily life

If you’re making a trip, do your part and work with the officials. And for everyone else, the advice is to get your news from where it counts and let the rumours be. The government is in a position to move fast and in proportion to any threat, but for now, the goal is to keep people safe and the country calm.