Supreme Court Grants Bail to Kashif in Rs 1.10 Crore Extortion Case Amid Prolonged Custody Concerns

The Supreme Court has given the nod for Mohammad Kashif to be bailed in an Rs 1.10 crore extortion matter, with the length of his time in custody being the deciding factor. The court was firm on the terms of his release and made it clear the ED can have the bail pulled if he doesn't hold up his end of the bargain.

On Monday, the top court put aside a previous order and let Kashif out in a money laundering case that is part of an alleged extortion ring. It was a move that puts a fine point on how long someone can be held in an ED-led prosecution.

Why the Supreme Court stepped in

Justices MM Sundresh and N Kotiswar Singh were the ones who set aside the Allahabad High Court’s earlier refusal to grant him bail. They noted in their order that Kashif has been behind bars for close to three years, and that alone was enough to warrant relief.

Kashif had to put on record a promise that he would not be making use of the names of any constitutional or government officials from here on. The Enforcement Directorate is on notice: if a condition is broken, they have the right to come in and cancel the bail.

The court’s instructions were to the point. Cooperate with the process, it told him, or the ED will be free to make a move.

Key bail directions

The court paired relief with clear guardrails to deter misuse. These are the core instructions it placed on record:

– Cooperate with the investigation and trial

– Do not invoke names of constitutional or government functionaries

– Violation allows the ED to seek cancellation

What the case alleges

The ED says its ECIR was put in place on April 19, 2023, following an FIR from Gautam Budh Nagar. You have your usual charges of cheating and forgery, along with some IT Act violations.

What the investigators are after is the claim that Kashif was using doctored pictures of himself with the Prime Minister and some Union ministers on Facebook and Instagram to make it look like he was well-connected. That kind of access, the ED says, was his way of wringing out money in exchange for jobs or a little help from the department.

They also talk about more than a crore in rupees they say they’ve recovered from his properties as proceeds of crime. And there was the matter of the Noida police running into him in a Mercedes with a couple of phones in hand, and some event credentials in his account that didn’t add up.

Documents and digital trail under scrutiny

Then there are the social media posts the ED is pointing to – invitation cards in his name for the PM’s oath in 2019 and a lunch a few months before. All part of building up a persona that wasn’t there, they allege.

The probe goes on to say he was able to pull strings and get work from the Rajasthan government and elsewhere by pretending to be in the ear of ministers. Of course, all of that is for the trial to sort out.

Timeline, defence stance and next steps

When he was before the High Court, Kashif made the case that he was already bailed in the underlying offence and had been in the system since May 25, 2023. He used the delays in the trial as a reason to be let go.

This order from the Supreme Court is no verdict on guilt. It is a recognition of the time he has put in while the case is still in the works, but with a hard line on compliance. If the ED sees fit, they can act.

So now the case moves forward with an accused who is out on a leash. For the courts, it is a reminder that even in a high-profile money laundering case, the calendar can be what makes the difference.